Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I was not raised in a Disney culture.  I remember Mickey Mouse Club
but I am not aware of ever watching any princess movies if they were even available.  After becoming a parent of three girls, we have watched all of the princess movies.
They were not girly girls at all and watched the movies strictly for entertainment.  They understand that their happiness does not rest on a prince showing up on a white horse.  When asked about that, Hannah said, "I feel that if someone rode up on a horse, I would run in the other direction."  She does not like horses.


After a discussion based on the writing of Christensen, "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us" my family noted that they never noticed any stereotyping of servants, townspeople, or other supporting characters in the shows based on color, race, ability, knowledge, or culture.  They believe that the movies are for entertainment purposes.  I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.  Maybe we should all be more aware of the stereotyping that occurs in these movies.
My family lives in a culturally diverse community and my children have many friends/acquaintances who are from other cultural backgrounds.  My husband and I work in a multi-cultural urban school district where we are aware of these cultures and acknowledge the importance of the diversity of all people in the community.  We also have a niece who is adopted from China and a best friend who is Egyptian and Muslim.  I guess I do see differences in people on the surface but it doesn't affect the way I view them as people.

I watched Brave with my family: Kevin, Hannah 20, Emma 16.  I asked them to share their views on the movie.  We all agreed that Merida is not like the other princesses who wait for their Prince Charming.  She is her own person who defends herself and what she feels is important to her happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment